October 14, 2010

Spoons

Spoons come in an amazing variety of shapes, sizes, colors, hook styles, etc. etc. etc. All seem to be effective in tempting a fish to strike. Most spoons are aptly named, as they are thinner in the center and thicker at the edges. This design creates turbulence when the spoon is retrieved and gives it a wobbling movement in the water. Most anglers I know have their own favorite spoons they have found that work well in many situations. Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye, Northern Pike, Lake Trout, Stripers and Muskie all will strike a spoon.

In my mind it is hard to go wrong when you shop for spoons. My favorite brands include Dardevle, Krocodile and Johnson. The Johnson Silver Spoon is a great lure for use over thick Hydrilla or lily pads. I like the heavier elongated Krocodile for deep water jigging. For casting and trolling I use several Dardevle spoons. The Dardevle Imp is a big favorite along with the red and white, black and white, hot mackerel, and the Five of Diamonds. I laughed at that lure when it came out, but after seeing my fishing companions catch nice fish with it, I wised up and got several.

My brother taught me to have a pole rigged with a spoon when casting other lures. Dropping the spoon and jigging it or doing figure eights in the water after a follow up will often trigger a strike.
To get the most action and movement from a spoon always put a split ring in the eye.

Substituting Technical Locking Curve hooks hooks will aid in getting better hook sets. Wire hooks will help prevent the loss of a lure when hung up as the wire hooks can straighten out and release.

Back to Hard Baits